top of page
Home Care 4 Seniors
Home Care 4 Seniors In-home Care
  • Writer's pictureHC4S

How To Apply for VA Benefits

Veterans can earn a range of benefits that help them transition back to civilian life in the country they fought to defend. Through the Veterans Benefits Administration, VA helps service members transition out of military service, and assists with education, home loans, life insurance, and much more.

There are numerous ways to apply for VA benefits depending on the type of benefit you are seeking. For assistance in applying for VA benefits, you can work with an accredited representative who can assist you with the claims process.

VA Benefits for Veterans

How to Apply

The specific VA benefit or program web page will provide tailored information about how to apply for a particular benefit or program. Generally, Servicemembers, Veterans, and families can apply for VA benefits using one of the methods below.

  • Apply online using, OR

  • Work with an accredited representative or agent, OR

  • Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee assist you. You can find your regional office on the Facility Locator page.

  • File your claim using an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits (VA Form 21-526EZ). Print the form, fill it out, and send it to: Department of Veterans Affairs Claims Intake Center P.O. Box 4444Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Apply for VA Benefits Before Leaving Military Service

If you are a member of the armed forces serving on either active duty or full-time National Guard duty, you should apply through the VA Pre-Discharge Claim Program before leaving service.

Apply for Disability Compensation Benefits for Veterans

File for disability compensation online at

To submit a paper application, download and complete VA Form 21-526EZ, "Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits" and mail the application to:

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs

Claims Intake Center

PO Box 4444

Janesville, WI 53547-4444

Or, you can fax it to:

(844) 531-7818 (inside the U.S.)

(248) 524-4260 (outside the U.S.)

You can also go to your local regional office and turn in your application for processing.

Apply For VA Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (VA DIC) Benefits for Spouses, Dependents, and Parents

Surviving Spouse or Child of a Service Member who Died While on Active Duty

Your military casualty assistance officer can help you to complete an Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits by a Surviving Spouse or Child (VA Form 21P-534a).

The officer will help you mail the form to the correct VA regional office.

Surviving Spouse or Child of a Veteran

Complete an Application for DIC, Death Pension, and/or Accrued Benefits (VA Form 21P-534EZ).

Surviving Parent

Complete an Application for Dependency and Indemnity Compensation by Parent(s) (VA Form 21P-535).

You can apply for this benefit in any of these ways:



bottom of page